Postfix+Dovecot not sending or receiving.

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sat Oct 10 21:12:15 MST 2015

main.cf
- - - - - -

# Debian specific:  Specifying a file name will cause the first
# line of that file to be used as the name.  The Debian default
# is /etc/mailname.
#myorigin = /etc/mailname

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
#delay_warning_time = 4h

readme_directory = no

# TLS parameters
smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
smtpd_use_tls=yes

# See /usr/share/doc/postfix/TLS_README.gz in the postfix-doc package
for
# information on enabling SSL in the smtp client.

smtpd_relay_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated
defer_unauth_destination
myhostname = flash.keithinternetmarketing.com
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
myorigin = /etc/mailname

## KLS  mydestination = flash.keithsmithinternetmarketing.com,
localhost.keithsmithinternetmarketing.com, localhost,
keithsmithinternetmarketing.com
##  mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost,
$mydomain
## $mydomain .eq. keithsmithinternetmarketing.com
mydestination = flash.keithsmithinternetmarketing.com,
localhost.keithsmithinternetmarketing.com, localhost
relayhost =
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter = +
inet_interfaces = all
inet_protocols = all
home_mailbox = Maildir/
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
\permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
smtp_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_tls_security_level = may
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 4
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes

- - - - - -

/var/log/mail.error has no recent errors

Any other logs I should look at?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Keith

On 2015-10-10 20:54, Sesso wrote:
>> On Oct 10, 2015, at 7:58 PM, Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Postfix and Dovecot appear to be working.
>>
>> Ubuntu 14.04lts
>>
>> telnet mydomain.tld 143
>> Trying routable-ip-address...
>> Connected to mydomain.tld.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
>> IDLE STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] Dovecot (Ubuntu) ready.
>>
>> telnet mydomain.tld 993
>> Trying routable-ip-address...
>> Connected to mydomain.tld.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>>
>> telnet mydomain.tld 110
>> Trying routable-ip-address...
>> Connected to mydomain.tld.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> +OK Dovecot (Ubuntu) ready.
>>
>> telnet mydomain.tld 995
>> Trying routable-ip-address...
>> Connected to mydomain.tld.com.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>>

>> I can send to the email address from another not on the same box. I
>> get no error and the email is not in /home/user/Maildir/new
>>
>> I am using Thunderbird.
>>
>> POP mail server port 110 starttls / normal password.  That is what
>> Thunderbird chose.
>>
>> SMTP is 993 ssl/tls encryped password
>>
>> For the username I am using the Linux user I created for this mail
>> account which is in the virtual file. The password is the password I
>> set for that user.
>>
>> I changed smpt to : 993 / ssl/tls encryped password
>>
>> An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an
>> incorrect greeting:  * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR
>> LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot (Ubuntu)
>> ready..
>>
>> smtp 993 / starttls encrypted password - it just keeps trying to send
>> until I cancel.
>>
>> /var/log/mail.err last entry at Oct 10 13:28:13 it is now 19:52.
>>
>> How can I troubleshoot this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help!!
>>
>> Keith
>

> Can you paste your config? Also what do your logs say?
>
> Jason

Keith Smith