Postfix+Dovecot not sending or receiving.

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sat Oct 10 19:58:20 MST 2015

Hi,

Postfix and Dovecot appear to be working.

Ubuntu 14.04lts

telnet mydomain.tld 143
Trying routable-ip-address...
Connected to mydomain.tld.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
IDLE STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] Dovecot (Ubuntu) ready.

telnet mydomain.tld 993
Trying routable-ip-address...
Connected to mydomain.tld.
Escape character is '^]'.

telnet mydomain.tld 110
Trying routable-ip-address...
Connected to mydomain.tld.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot (Ubuntu) ready.

telnet mydomain.tld 995
Trying routable-ip-address...
Connected to mydomain.tld.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

I can send to the email address from another not on the same box. I get
no error and the email is not in /home/user/Maildir/new

I am using Thunderbird.

POP mail server port 110 starttls / normal password.  That is what
Thunderbird chose.

SMTP is 993 ssl/tls encryped password

For the username I am using the Linux user I created for this mail
account which is in the virtual file. The password is the password I set
for that user.

I changed smpt to : 993 / ssl/tls encryped password

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting:  * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS
ID ENABLE IDLE AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot (Ubuntu) ready..

smtp 993 / starttls encrypted password - it just keeps trying to send
until I cancel.

/var/log/mail.err last entry at Oct 10 13:28:13 it is now 19:52.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Keith