do we have a community outreach program?

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Fri May 22 08:52:57 MST 2015

On 2015-05-21 22:32, Eric Oyen wrote:
> hmmm. thats not a bad idea. It might also be helpful to the disabled
> population (of which I am one, being totally blind). Since I use
> ubuntu with the orca screen reader here on an old toshiba laptop that
> was graciously donated to me by another member of plug over 7 years
> ago, it has been used a lot. Mostly, I use it to control the various
> pieces of ham radio gear I have (using the HamLib package) It also
> makes radio programming a bit easier when I have to use chirp (Linux
> is about the only environment where that program is even minimally
> accessible using a screen reader). btw, there is also an accessibility
> list over at Ubuntu where the various screen readers and how to use
> them are discussed. There is also the Vinux project which was
> specifically designed for blind computer users.

Very interesting.

> Combine this with a community outreach program (say for big
> brothers/big sisters or the YMCA or the United way) and you might just
> start a whole new generation of Linux users (and programmers) who
> won't have to put up with the failing business model that is
> Microsoft.

Several members of the Tucson Free Unix Group converted a school to
Linux about 15 years ago using used computers donated by one or more
local businesses.

I worked in a business 17 years ago that had 650 employees.  Think about
that.  Over a 3 or 4 year period they would replace every one of those
computers.  Those used computers still have many years of life in them
and by replacing M$ with Linux the old computer has a new life.  My
experience is Linux needs less resources and old iron will perform
decently especially if it is only 3 - 4 - 5 years old.  I have an 8 year
old box that would do fine running Mint. And I suspect it could do so
for 5 or more years.

I think the real issue is finding the volunteers to do all this work.

> -eric (the other eric :) ).
>
> On May 21, 2015, at 4:31 PM, Michael Havens wrote:
>
>> You know, thrift stores (other than goodwill) has used computers
>> coming out of their ears. I think we need to find a thrift store that
>> wants to unload all of this used hardware for like 25 dollars apiece
>> and put Linux on it and get these fully functional and modern
>> computers out to the people who need them. If you buy a modern windows
>> computer it isn't even fully functional unless you pay for a
>> subscription to something. I'm partial to Linux Mint but that is up
>> for debate.

Keith Smith