do we have a community outreach program?

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Thu May 21 17:48:29 MST 2015

A friend recently worked at Goodwill. They are not allowed to start up used
donated computers or even usb drives due to the possibility of  exposing
personal data  that could result in major lawsuits. The big issue is that
it only takes one person to steal data and or skills to Install a clean os
when they have a large turnover with many donating time for community
service it had to train and trust.
 We are working with AZstrut which takes used computers from big companies
like Intel and others. Most have the drives pre-wiped but all drives are
removed and triple cleaned with DBAN.  They used to install XP and Linux
Mint but are now using a Custom version of Ubuntu or they will recommend
other companies that will install windows OS. they they are used for
schools and non profits ect. all others are fully recycled.

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 5:28 PM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> In fact, PLUG ought to make stickers that we could
> all go around and stick on new computers on display
> in every retail store giving people the option to
> upgrade to Linux for free ... ;)
>
> Now that would be a real public service!
>
> -------------
> > Brian, that is an excellent idea.
> >

> > -------------
> >> Rather than spending $25 for an old computer, better
> >> to get thrift shops to stick a sticker that we supply
> >> that they can stick on the computer that lets people
> >> know ... install something new on their system,
> >> and also train them how to use it.

Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team
4605 S PRIEST DR LOT 3