Need a Linux tool to capture my own keystrokes ...

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Fri May 8 11:09:36 MST 2015

>> joe at actionline.com writes:
>>> Is there some kind of Linux tool that I can use to capture
>>> my own keystrokes?

Others have said some stuff, but a useful/interesting tool that no
one's mentioned yet is xnee (
https://sandklef.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/1140/ ,
http://xnee.wordpress.com/ ).  The "cnee" part of this can record mouse
and keyboard events on machines running X, which can be a useful/neat
thing to do for various reasons.

It'll produce a text file with a bunch of lines like so:

7,2,0,0,0,25,0,102550356,6,AT Translated Set 2 keyboard

(7,2 means "key pressed", not sure what the 0s are, 25 is the key code
for "w")

There's a GUI called gnee which may be more useful depending on what
you're doing.

On 2015-05-08 08:09, Keith Smith wrote:
> On 2015-05-08 05:19, kitepilot at kitepilot.com wrote:
>> Is this box publicly running FTP?  I hope not!
> The reality is GoDaddy, iPower, HostGator, and I suspect
> most vhost providers have FTP enabled.  It is common practice.

The best thing to do would be to shoot FTP and shovel dirt over it, but
I don't think we're there quite yet :-)

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity