nacl_helper

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Mon Mar 16 13:06:42 MST 2015

I would like to get a clarification on this because Chrome and Chromium
both seem to be killing my poor old netbook.  I have an original System76
Starling.  It has been a trooper, best laptop I ever owned (and no, Carl
did not pay me for that).  I was having issues with the Ubuntu that had
been upgraded a dozen times, so I decided a reset was needed.  Since all my
other machines are Arch, I decided to put that on there.  The netbook runs
GREAT, as long as I don't try to run Chrom* on it.  Then the systems goes
completely non-responsive.  I switched to another console (ctrl-alt-F2) and
ran a top.  Both browsers were the same 10k processes taking all my CPU.
Then I would notice the Core Dump.  I turned off the dump allowing it to
just fail... this seemed to make things worse... it just failed faster, and
more often.  Once it does this it stops being able to spawn additional
processes saying it's out of memory.  Top shows memory-a-plenty.  Since it
is such an old machine, I naturally thought, oh crap, my memory is starting
to fail.  But I am starting to wonder after reading this thread, maybe it's
the Intel915 on board that is out of memory?

Anybody have any advice on this?

Kevin