append with eof

Mike Ballon mike.ballon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 07:53:08 MST 2015

First, if you're just trying to backup conf files, then simply make a
backup of the conf file and restore it when needed.

To answer your question, yes, specifically with the cat command, this won't
work with echo. You can test this on your own and t

$ cat > test << EOF
> 1
> 2
> 3
> EOF
$ cat test
1
2
3
$ cat >> test << EOF
> 4
> EOF
$ cat test
1
2
3
4

You can also start with an append if you wish:

$ cat >> test << EOF
> 1
> 2
> EOF