HTTP_REFERER problem

Daniel Stasinski daniel at genericinbox.com
Sun Mar 8 17:51:24 MST 2015

In the last couple of days, someone has been pasting the address of my
disabilities support group site on what appears to be a pedophile chat
room.

At various times throughout the day, there is a sudden influx of pervs
coming into our chat room all at once.  I attempted to use server
var $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] to check where the links are coming from and
my own logging code is showing that field either empty or sometimes "
www.google.com" with no query terms in the url.   I thought maybe they were
using Incognito mode but when I finally accessed the apache logs, the full
refer entries were there.  They're just not getting passed to php as near
as I can tell.

Is there some reason why php is not getting the full referer header?

Daniel