Raspberry Pi question

Rusty Ramser rusty_ramser at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:20:16 MST 2015

"But what should the capacity of the card for Raspbmc be?"
Ooo!  I love questions like this!  The correct answer is, "It depends."  :D

The more meaningful answer is, it depends on how much content (music files, videos, etc.) you want to store on your Raspbmc at one time.  You can have your Raspbmc stream files from other PCs/sources if you want, and if you did it that way you might not need your Raspbmc SD card to be very large.  I don't have mine streaming, so everything is stored right on the SD card.  I opted for 32 GB, which means I don't have to change out files (delete old already-watched stuff so I can put new unwatched stuff on) very often.

So if you're going to stream content to your Raspbmc, I would say a 4 GB SD card would be fine.  If you want to store a lot of content statically on the Raspbmc, I would suggest 32 GB (or higher).

"One final question: is this where you got your Raspbmc?"
Yes, that's it.  (It probably wasn't the place I got mine when I installed it a few years back, but this looks to be the official place nowadays.)

"I assume you just treat it like you would install it onto a hard drive."
Pretty much.  I think when I created my Raspbmc image there wasn't an installer program available (like it looks there is now).  So I just got a raw image and used dd to write the image file onto the SD card.

"Does that take care of the persistence as well?"
Yes, absolutely.  Everything you do on your SD card on a RPi (whether you're running Raspbian, Raspbmc, etc.) acts just like a hard drive, in that it stores settings, configuration, data files, etc.

A few additional bits of recommendation I'll provide:
1.  Be Careful
    Whatever method you use to get the Raspbmc image onto
    your SD card (whether fancy installer program or raw
    writing of bits using dd), make sure you're writing
    the image to the correct /dev/sdX device.  A tool like
    dd will happily write an image to whatever device you
    specify without any kind of sanity checking to ensure
    you're not over-writing and killing your root partition.
2.  Partition (if necessary)
    If you go the route of having a very large SD card to
    hold lots of static data, partition your SD card into
    maybe a 4 GB partition for Raspbmc itself, and the
    remainder of the SD card to purely hold data.  I found
    this was a great way to keep the system area relatively
    small and made it super convenient to perform system-
    wide backups of your Raspbmc build by using dd.  And
    you only have to worry about the system partition and
    not the 14 GB of data files you have stored, because
    why back those up in a system backup?  I do a backup
    prior to any Raspbmc upgrade, so if there's any
    failures it's incredibly easy to flash right back to
    a known good state.  (I disable the automatic updating
    to nightly builds that Raspbmc wants to do.)  Do this
    partitioning of the card before you do the installing,
    and you'll be able to specify the right partition for
    installation.
3.  Stay Classy
    Whichever size SD card you opt for to suit the way you
    are going to use the system, make sure the SD card you
    get is Class 10.  It may actually be pretty hard to
    even find the lower classes (slower access times) these
    days, but it's worth ensuring.  Class 10 all the way.

Good luck with it!
Cheers.