wargames

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Mon Mar 2 19:20:23 MST 2015

Object Oriented Programming - from the Internet : Object-oriented
programming (OOP) is a programming language model organized around
objects rather than "actions" and data rather than logic. Historically,
a program has been viewed as a logical procedure that takes input data,
processes it, and produces output data.

Most modern languages are capable of Object Oriented Programming. OOP
will make your life simpler if you plan to build any complex
applications.

C is procedural, which is easier to learn.  C++ is object oriented.
Java is object oriented.  I have not looked at Python so I cannot
comment. PHP is object oriented, however most use it for scripting (old
school PHP).

Bash looks to be procedural.

Start with C then C++ then Bash.  If you need Python learn it.  I think
assembler is always a good idea for someone wanting to learn
programming.  You will be exposed to registers, interrupts, and math at
the CPU level, which is a real learning experience.

After all that I would learn database normalization. Database
normalization may not be all that important if you are going to use
programming to automate and to get info for gaming. If you plan any
serious projects that require a DB, then database normalization is very
important.

On 2015-03-02 19:51, Michael Havens wrote:
> OOP would be python? Okay. this is what I'm thinking; learn BASH and
> then C and then Python. Is C and C++ that different?
>
> :-)~MIKE~(-:
>
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Keith Smith
> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>
>> I learned how to program at the junior college and the university.
>> I started in academia in 1983 with punch cards. From my experience I
>> would recommend learning how to program by learning straight old C.
>> If your really apply yourself and really learn C you will have a
>> better go of things when working with other languages. Assembler is
>> a good idea as well.  You may never use it however it will give you
>> some interesting insight. Stay away from Object Oriented Programming
>> until you master C. Then learn OOP.
>>
>> On 2015-03-01 23:47, Michael Havens wrote:
>>
>>> I am tackling a hard task. I was talking with someone on IRC and
>>> this
>>> is part of the exchange we had:
>>>
>>> <bmike1> I've decided I need to learn scripting before I do the
>>> other
>>> wargames
>>> <bmike1> what do you think? BASH or Python?
>>> <doskop> both have their applications
>>> <doskop> although I hardly use advanced bash scripts to solve
>>> challenges
>>> <doskop> so I'd go for python
>>> <doskop> if you're interested in the other overthewire
>>> wargames...
>>> understanding php is pretty much a requirements for natas
>>>
>>> <doskop> for the other OTW wargames, some understanding of C, C++
>>> and/or assembly is very useful
>>>
>>> So I need to learn a few things.
>>> Does anyone have any personal experience with learning any of
>>> these on
>>> your own or have you gone through a book and thought, 'Gosh, I
>>> wish
>>> they would have taught me that way.' If so please, share with the
>>> class.

>> --
>> Keith Smith

> Links: