Cox 50Mb x 10Mb

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Mar 2 18:18:49 MST 2015

>> For my money, I stay on residential, even though more or less I have a
>> business network behind it, one address suits me just fine.
>> Everything I need to do outside is more or less personal, unless my
>> servers need an update or something, or I vpn somewhere else.  I found
>> out a few years ago cox stopped filtering a lot of things on
>> residential, lo and behold I could now hit 443 on residential service
>> - then I really didn't need business services.
>>

> The business package was only $25 more a month and they do allow
> servers.  I don't think my rates haver gone up in 4 years.

That is good to know as well, I'd be good with a 50x10 service for
~80/mo if I got another address, or could.  I moved my personal stuff
outside of my server lans (I just used a "user" stub off my asa) and
moved to a separate dd-wrt system, the bit about another address was the
first time I'd thought about "needing" business services, otherwise I
only call when I need to tell them to fix something specific and definitely.

Interesting enough, they offer L2 backhaul services on modems, ie.
virtual circuits to terminate them back to a coi internet on metro
ethernet, ocx, etc, even for resale.  There are companies reselling cox
modem bandwidth backhaul now now, providing "value add services" at a
pop, layering on video and other services, and providing their own
internet pipes for them (or just egressing with cox bandwidth anyways).
I thought it might be cool to group in with friends to go off-net or
centralize internet egress somewhere ala a corp net, if they're
reselling them as that+ fees, must be able to get them at an affordable
price as a reseller.  Real L2 lan between homes without the outside
world, no vpn.

Split the bandwidth, just pay for transit, lan party remotely.  :)

-mb