ot spam

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 10:25:08 MST 2015

found it for all to see:

The first place to which you should complain is the Federal Trade
Commission. They are the primary agency vested with enforcement of the new
Federal CAN-SPAM anti-spam law. They want your spam. They *love* your spam.
They have a refrigerator full of spam.
*(Psst.. Hey! Let us know if you like this article by leaving a comment
below!)*

So forward your spam to uce at ftc.gov. And in case you haven’t read all of
our previous columns (and really, you should), let me remind you that
address harvesting – the act of taking an email address from a web page
such as, oh, say, this one, is illegal. But I’d sure like to see some
spammer harvest the email address uce at ftc.gov and send spam to uce at ftc.gov
because that would mean that when the spam went to uce at ftc.gov the FTC
could really nail them for harvesting the address uce at ftc.gov and sending
spam to uce at ftc.gov.
P.S. —>>uce at ftc.gov< <---harvest here

After sending your spam to the FTC, if you are feeling really motivated,
you can read the fine print in the spam's header information to determine
from where the spam really originated, and complain to the ISP who is
hosting the spammer. That may get the spammer's Internet access turned off.

Next, you can contact your State Attorney General's office to find out with
whom you can file a complaint at your state level, because CAN-SPAM allows
State Attorney Generals to sue spammers who violate CAN-SPAM. In fact, your
ISP can sue them too.

Finally, once you have done some or all of these things, delete the spam,
and be grateful for small favours - such as the fact that the spam did not
contain a *bogus unsubscribe link, which when you clicked it, rather than
unsubscribing you, alerted the spammer to the fact that they had a warm
body at the other end of the line.*

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:

>  Good question actually.
>
> I get some idiot recruiter spam (a car dealership and realtor too come to
> mind) that a few times have tried to use their unsubscribe form, and found
> it broken, which I half suspect on purpose (or they had a windoze developer
> code it and only works in ie).
>
> Either way an annoyance I can't remove myself from, which I take as a
> violation.  I've love to "give them a referral" for their efforts in
> annoying me.
>
> -mb
>

> On 06/26/2015 07:03 AM, Michael Havens wrote:
>
> I get spam w/o the unsubscribe link required by law. Who do I send it to
> to get them in trouble?
>
>  --