OT: Android for Kids

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Jun 22 12:03:11 MST 2015

Am 22. Jun, 2015 schwätzte Nathan England so:

moin moin,

> I spent a lot of time playing "Incredible Machine" years ago. Stupid kids
> game, but I got sucked right into it. I'm glad to see those types of games

Not familiar with that one. But, yeah, great games for adults as well.

> are still around. I'm going to have to look into all of these. Thanks hans.

Looked at a few others I'd pulled down last night.

Kaleidoscope

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=kaleid&fdid=vnd.blueararat.kaleidoscope6

Coloring for Kids 1.0

Also from Androidsoft. A simple coloring by tapping app, but that worked
at 3. That type of thing still gets played once in a while.

http://www.androidsoft.org/coloring-for-kids.html

TuxMemory appears to be the same as Memory Game for Kids, but only with
the tux-themed images.

Slow It!

Also from Androidsoft.

http://www.androidsoft.org/slow-it-.html

Puzzles has a few games that might work.

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=puzzles&fdid=name.boyle.chris.sgtpuzzles

SpacePeng is like Space Invaders.

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=spacepeng&fdid=de.fgerbig.spacepeng

Hmm, Tanks of Freedom was just uploaded or updated.

http://w84death.itch.io/tanks-of-freedom

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=in.p1x.tanks_of_freedom

Found a couple more interesting apps as well.

Clash of Balls for two player local network gaming.

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=physics&fdid=com.sapos_aplastados.game.clash_of_balls

Khan Academy viewer

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=physics&fdid=com.concentricsky.android.khan

At least some of the f-droid apps are available from google repo as well.

ciao,

der.hans

> [...]
>>
>> http://www.androidsoft.org/permission-friendly-apps.html
>>
>> I recently picked up a few other games from f-droid, but haven't really
>> played with them much.
>>
>> On the non-FLOSS side there is Petson's Invetions, which I tell everyone
>> about. It's fantastic. I recommend it even though it's proprietary
>> software. In fact, it's the only proprietary software I recommend.
>>
>> We started with it at the age of 3.
>>
>> It's a digital rube goldberg machine. The player is given and image of
>> what the machine is supposed to look like, then supplied with a panel of
>> parts and a field upon which to build the machine. Not all of the parts
>> will be used. It's a bit difficult, but somewhat randomly pulling stuff
>> over can make progress, so even at 3 it was useful.
>>
>> I've seen at least 4 versions available.
>>
>> If you'll give access to a GNU/Linux box, then sl is great. It's short,
>> but can entertain over and over, especially if you toss on a wrapper to
>> randomly call different options.
>>
>> There's also tuxpaint, but mostly I prefer to just point at the crayons
>> and paper even if those don't make noises. We do have some stamps, so that
>> part of tuxpaint isn't as novel.
>>
>> There are several 'doodle' drawing games on Android, but all proprietary.
>>
>> I've also disabled networking on the child tablet. No need for tracking.
>>
>> For board games, Robot Turtle has been great. There are different levels
>> of play so the older kids might also find it engaging. The 3 year old
>> probably will have troubles with the role of turtle master, but the older
>> kids handle it fine.
>>
>> Since only the turtle master is allowed to touch the board, it's great for
>> the younger kids who still tend to knock things over when playing with
>> them.
>>
>> Officially the players aren't competing against each other, so each can
>> play a different level of the game at the same time. Convincing them that
>> they aren't competing can be difficult.
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>>
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> As I'm sure many of you on this list also have children and several older
>>> android devices, what apps do you install for your kids to play?
>>>
>>> I have children from 3 to 14, but I am primarily interested in games for
>>> my 3 year old. I don't have game systems in the house, nor do I own a
>>> television, but as the Phoenix heat kicks into full gear it's difficult to
>>> keep a three year old entertained and productive... and Dr. Seuss books do
>>> an excellent job, but he much prefers Asphalt 8.
>>>
>>> What have you found to be good for younger kids?
>>> Free is great, but I'd rather pay a couple dollars for a good game without
>>> in-app purchases, but does that even exist anymore?
>>>

>>> My list so far is fairly short:
>>>
>>> Angry Birds
>>> Angry Birds Go (racing)
>>> Asphalt 8
>>> Riptide
>>> Bible for Kids (It has a kids game in it)

#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  <arclight> Delicious red tape, like a Twizzler but flat. And adhesive.