xorg: Maximum number of clients reached

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Jun 20 09:32:34 MST 2015

So Chromium is definitely causing the x client limit to be hit, but "not
always"...  It's really odd, and I can't explain it.

So at prior recommendations, I began using watch on results of
"xlsclients | wc -l", ulimit -n, and a cat on /pro/sys/fs/file-nr
(another representation of file handling), and I've been using the
desktop fine before over night/this morning without hitting limits.

Weird part is, until something apparently "pops", it'll work fine.  A
fresh reboot, with chrome launched usually has 120 x client sessions in
use, with Chrome and Chromium both.  Once whatever it is breaks, goes
haywire, whatever, I kill chromium, it returns to 135 sessions in use,
and launching it again drives it instantly over the max.

With Chromium open
/pro/sys/fs/file-nr shows 20.5k file allocations at the time
ulimit -n shows 524,288 at the moment
xlsclients | wc -l == Maximum number of clients reachedxlsclients:
unable to open display ":0"

Killing Chromium
/pro/sys/fs/file-nr shows 17.5k file allocations at the time
ulimit -n shows 524,288 at the moment
xlsclients | wc -l == 135

Sadly I'm almost at a point where I can't NOT use chromium with work
dependencies on google-based services and extensions that simply don't
have equal or exist under firefox, or I'd simply banish this thing to
hell.  I'm not even sure I can systrace effectively what is wigging out
chromium since it's so entirely threaded, but apparently I need to do
some "debug chrome|chromium stupidity 101" today.

-mb