xorg: Maximum number of clients reached

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Fri Jun 12 14:18:31 MST 2015

On 2015-06-11 17:20, Michael Butash wrote:
> [X reaching a maximum number of clients is a problem] in that it
> simply refuses to open new [X clients], and [I] find this happens
> more and more these days. Am I like the only actual person to use
> linux these days that this occurs with?

I've never seen this happen.  What do you get when this is happening
and you do "xlsclients | sort | uniq -c" ?  I currently have 64 X
clients running here.  Most KDE things show up as 2 or 3 X clients.
plasma-desktop shows up as 20.  firefox shows up as 1.

> I've seen reports of this, stating it's a hard-coded thing in xorg
> code, which I find entirely asinine

It probably seemed like a reasonable assumption back when the X11
protocol was designed that an X client would only make 1 connection to
the server, and that having 256 or 512 X clients at once was enough.  I
don't have the Xorg source here so can't find where this is set, either.

> Chrome/Chromium that launches some 300 flocks on various things, and
> blows out the 256/512 client count on xorg.

What did you mean by "flocks"?  If Chrome creates a separate X client
for every browser tab, that'd probably cause stupidity, but I could see
it doing that.  (Having fewer than 30 tabs open at any given time would
fix that if it were the case.)

> I have 3 chrome profiles open, some pdfs, libreoffice,
> some chrome apps, some file manager windows (dolphin/kde), and not
> much else. [...]  am I the only person that really "uses" a linux
> desktop to see these?

Obviously not if you found some other people complaining on a search
engine.  First thing to do is figure out which program is causing the
stupidity.  I was surprised to see 20 plasma-desktop clients here,
because plasma applets are useless and I didn't think I had any of them
running at all.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity