OT : Using gmail

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Jun 10 11:16:33 MST 2015

I use gapps for my business domain(s), and find it's a nice solution for
most things.  Docs and drive have been great for multi-user
collaboration, and work with several other companies now that use it for
their businesses as well, far larger than mine.

Layering atop that, I use things like insightly for crm, switch.co for
voip/ivr/employee numbers (works great in chrome, even on linux!),
expensify, lucidchart (web visio replacement), and other things that all
tie into the domain with oauth for universal namespace use.  Mostly due
to enumerating employee accounts, working with contacts stored there,
calendaring, etc.  Gapps makes it all together nice integration when 3rd
parties integrate them well, and said examples tend to do so.

Sadly, you won't avoid "big brother" peeking in aside from hosting
everything in a non-nato nation, and even then if they really want,
they'll just have the cia threaten the foreign consulate to get what
they want anyways as they have dirt on everyone already. Outside of some
link to terrorism, or you're the next up and coming Enron, likely not
much to worry about.

I still keep my personal email outside of gmail, just for some
diversity, and don't really like the idea of having my personal info in
google where they can/will harvest data off it whether they say so or
not.  That and the whole "all eggs in one basket thing", so I leave it
outside, at least for now.

I do need to find a new email provider, after my last round of working
at godaddy, don't really like the thought of keeping my data (or
domains) there anymore any more than putting it into google for them to
analytically harvest.  All the new mgt there are ex microsofties, so
they're intent to sell the company soul to M$, and were going to
migrate/sell ALL customer email to office365 for service/license
discounts (hosting/rev share), where I will NOT use an exchange-based
system.  Any linux support is still shite with o365, even internally
migrations there for corp use were as much a disaster moving to it when
they did.  Luckily they backpedaled on that at the time, and kept their
existing platform, for now so I stayed until my current renewals end (soon).

Helps my gd account is so old, and entwined with my ancient employee
account I get a bunch of stuff for free because they can't figure out
how to unentangle them.  ;)

HTH

-mb