Fwd: ot - boric acid and cockroaches

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 12:50:47 MST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: ot - boric acid and cockroaches
To: LINUX-L at lists.ufl.edu

On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 10:48:55 -0400
David Nessl <david at NESSL.NAME> wrote:

> Boric acid also works great to stop a flea infestation.  For many
> years I've used a Ph neutral, finer ground version:
> http://www.amazon.com/Fleabusters-59111-1-Rx-Fleas-Plus/dp/B000MS6Q2Q

If you have a bad flea infestation, boric acid is *part* of the
solution, because you need to hit the fleas at all four parts of their
life cycle: Egg, Larva, Pupa, and Adult . First, you need to deflea your
dogs and cats and keep them defleaed.

To kill existing adult fleas in your house, Boric acid helps a lot.
Throw it on all your carpets, then broom it in. There should be no
clumps or obvious piles: Clumps and piles somehow warn the fleas to
stay away.

With a severe infestation, you know, the kind of thing where you can't
live comfortably in your house, or perhaps when you walk barefoot it
quickly looks like you're wearing black socks, you must vacuum every
day and put down more boric acid. This implies *a lot* more than 3
pounds. You can buy 80 pound bags. Right after vacuuming, you throw
down handfuls of boric acid, and sweep them into rugs until the rug is a
little lighter.

The boric acid kills the adults. The vibration of the vacuum makes the
pupae turn into adults who can be killed by tomorrow's boric acid. The
vacuum does a fairly good job of picking up the eggs and larvae so that
they never get a chance to turn into pupae. Obviously, empty your
vacuum afterward. This is *not* the time to worry about the cost of
vacuum bags.

After a week or two you can live in your house without using insect
repellant. After probably a month you have no fleas, of any life stage,
at all, and will probably stay that way for years if you keep your dogs
and cats treated for fleas.

One thing: Boric acid is an acid: It's not good for your carpeting. Use
a good, strong vacuum, and once you've eliminated the fleas, stop using
the boric acid and just vacuum. You don't want the boric acid
permanently settling into your carpet.

What I outlined is vast overkill for the majority of situations, but if
you ever come home after being gone a few days and all of a sudden your
bare ankles look like they're wearing black socks, you need to go
all-in, and this is how I successfully defeated the fleas the one time
they took over my house.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key

--