OT: Data Recovery

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Tue Jun 2 19:58:29 MST 2015

They state in the article they use the "drive farming" method of getting
their drives. I use exclusively Seagate because I've never had a WD last
for very long and the four WD drives I had in operation all failed
within the last year.

I have used the "drive farming" method myself and the drives always fail
quickly. They are not normal drives. They are typically "green" drives
which mean they aren't meant to spin continuously and be in constant
use. They are meant to spin up, write data, spin down. Every drive I've
pulled out of an enclosure and used full time has failed with all the
dramatic flair of a drag queen on the strip.

The standard desktop drives I've used have worked great, and in that
list I count Seagate, Toshiba, and Hitachi before they sold out to the
horrible beast that is WD.

On 2015-06-02 15:46, Eric Cope wrote:

> not at all.
> The failure ended up being two-tiered. The first problem was a firmware failure. The fee to recover the first pass was $395. After the first pass, they recovered my critical data successfully, however it was discovered there were 2 heads that were failing. There was data that couldn't be recovered without replacing the heads. They offered to take it into their clean room for $750, replace the heads, and recover the rest of the data. I didn't need it (it was my brother's data and he was too cheap to pay for recovery), so I opted not to continue the recovery process.
>
> FYI - if you have data on Seagates, get it off: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/ [2]
>
> Eric
>
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:
>
> Ouch, if you don't mind my asking, what did it end up costing total? Luckily never needed to myself, but people have asked and I never have an answer.
>
> On or off-list is fine. :)
>
> -mb
>
> On 06/02/2015 11:22 AM, Eric Cope wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
> I recently had a Seagate 3TB drive fail on me. The local company, Desert Data Recovery, was able to recover all of my critical data. They were very responsive and really inexpensive. They did a free evaluation and offered a "No Data, No Fee" policy. I'd highly recommend them.
>
> http://www.desertdatarecovery.com/ [3]
>
> Just thought I would share. Backups are cheaper, but if you need recovery services, check them out.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Links:
------