OT? Are they really teaching this?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Jun 1 19:17:12 MST 2015

Last time I looked at net+, which was a good 12+ years ago, they were
almost too generic to be practical. Vendor agnostic, maybe enough to
edumacate a developer into what a network is (heaven forbid), but not
enough that you're going to show up on a job and do much of anything
aside from having to take another class in $vendor.

Good thing with Cisco classes is most other network vendors tend to just
clone their cli close enough that even if a bit different to keep from
being sued, it's intuitive enough you can hop on another switch and
survive.  Unless buying Juniper switches, then start over again.
Arista, Brocade, HP, even 3com (now hp too) tend to be somewhat "close
enough" that a foundation in Cisco won't have you totally lost should
one get dropped in your lap.

And chances are good you'll find Cisco in an employer anyways. "Nobody
gets fired for buying Cisco", or at least used to before outsourcing
made their software bug-licious and unstable as anything/everything
else, only costs more now with same commodity hardware just like
everyone else.

Hit a goodwill, oddly I hunt books there (non-tech), but find they tend
to have a lot of older versions of tech books, including A+, N+, and
other comptia books that are probably only slightly less relevant enough
to check out for 2-3 bucks.  Or piratebay.  ;)

-mb