OT - sort of

Amy Nielsen amyjoan48 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 19:45:05 MST 2015

I have a 500 GB WD drive, and a 120 GB Samsung SSD; I run Linux Mint
currently and usually have several virtual machines of different distros,
always Linux. I have OS on SSD, use the WD drive for storage, etc.
Disabling some logs or changing what is logged, where, and throwing all
that type of data on WD drive so my SSD lives longer. I also enabled trim.
I may or may not have this right, time will tell. Between books and google,
I got enough information to be comfortable running the SSD. It is fast, and
so far great. I may need to adjust my partitioning to include lvm or not,
reading about that now. Most of the info I read said that SSD life span is
much better than before, but using Linux I think the tweaks do matter.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 11:45 PM, Nathan England <nathan at nmecs.com> wrote:

> I had an Intel drive, forget which series, which lasted me a couple years
> before I gave that laptop away to someone else, and they continue to use it
> now, which has been several more years.
>
> I currently have a couple Samsung 840 Pro's which are awesome.
>
> I completely intend to buy whatever Samsung pro is the next in line as
> soon as I need a new one. Unless I see a screamin' deal on an Intel.
>

> On 2015-06-23 12:00, Lyle Tuttle wrote:
>
> OK, the hard drive on my windows box is getting old, and every now and
> then during startup, I hear a short burst of "chattering"......no such
> problem on my Linux laptop, but it does not get as much use, either...
>
> I want to replace my aging hard drive with a solid state unit.
>
> Suggestions?  Advice?  Personal experiences to share?
>
> My Dell System was purchased in December 2010 (I but them heavily loaded,
> and hope they will still be good for a long time, hardware-wise.), and runs
> all day, every day I am home, which is most of the time....I started it
> shortly b4 5am today and will shut down about 10pm....typical day.....I
> consider it pretty heavy use.
>
> TIA
>
> lyle

*Amy Nielsen*