Samba Connecting, cannot transfer files

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Wed Jul 29 18:32:29 MST 2015

Are you mounting using cifs ?

My share is in CentOS 6.6 and my desktop is Mint 17 kde.

I have a samba server on a LAMP dev box and it mounds just fine using
cifs with the mount command being in the fstab.

I wonder if there is a conflix between the two boxes or if there is
something I am missing.

I spun up a minimul CentOS VM and can ping etc.  Turned off SElinux and
IPTables.  Installed and configured Samba and the same thing is
happening.

I can connect and brows just not upload files.  I can even create
directories.

I set the share to 0777.

Could this be a VM thing?

On 2015-07-26 19:01, James Dugger wrote:
> I set up my own share declaration at the end of the smb.conf file.
> For example I have a simple one called [archive] that allows backups
> to be placed on a server running Ubuntu 15.04 server edition.
>
> I create the samba users and passwords for each user (these match
> their unix user accounts)
> I set the appropriate unix permissions for the group that I want
> typically 775.
> I create a group called "archive" in  /etc/group and then add all of
> the users who are to have access to it into the archive group.
> the valid users = @group_name is the key that allows samba to control
> the access to samba share.
>
> The key is add the the users to the group in /etc/group and to make
> sure that they have a mapped samba username and password.
>
> [archive]
>      comment = backup drive
>      path = /srv/archive
>      browseable = yes
>      guest ok = no
>      valid users = @archive
>
> There are other options but I usually find that the I forget to update
> the /etc/group file.
>
> Hope that helps
>
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Keith Smith
> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the link.
>>
>> My smbpasswd is in /usr/bin/smbpasswd
>>
>> Just to make sure I : touch /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>>
>> then I :
>> smbpasswd -x username
>> smbpasswd -a username
>>
>> still same issue.
>>
>> Remove /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>>
>> I've created several directories off of /work/ on the samba server
>> using the Samba server's command line. Using Dolphin on my desktop
>> I can add directories to /work/ - they have correct permissions and
>> ownership. However I get a permissions dialog when adding files to
>> /work/
>>
>> If I try to add a file to one of those directories I created using
>> Dolphin on my desktop there is no error and no file shows up.
>>
>> Thank you for your help!!
>> Keith
>>
>> On 2015-07-26 10:28, Stephen Partington wrote:
>>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/samba-smbpasswd-file-missing-750367/
>> [1]
>> [3]
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Keith Smith
>> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks!! I added the Samba user as one of the first steps. My
>> smb.config shows "passdb backend = tdbsam". I cannot find the
>> tdbsam file. What am I missing?
>>
>> On 2015-07-26 09:56, Todd Millecam wrote:
>>
>> If I remember right, samba doesn't follow regular *nix permissions.
>> Try running the command:
>> smbadduser
>>
>> to get your user name and password in. Use those credentials when
>> you
>> login to transfer files and see if it works.
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Keith Smith
>> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:

> [...]

Keith Smith