O/T : Looking for an entry level LAMP developer for contract work.

Sesso sesso at djsesso.com
Tue Jul 28 22:35:14 MST 2015

> On Wed Jul 29 15, Steve Litt wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 20:30:31 -0700
>> Sesso <sesso at djsesso.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Companies should focus a little less on buzzwords, and a lot more
>>> on someone's ability/desire to learn, ability to think critically,
>>> and ablility to solve problems.”
>>>

>>> I have a hard time finding candidates with all 3 of the above. I have
>>> met many that have a strong desire to learn but lack problem solving
>>> skills. Now for a shared hosting company, this is fine.
>>> Dedicated/Cloud infra. won’t work out.
>>>
>>> jason
>>
>> What are both of you meaning by "problem solving skills?" What,
>> exactly, would the work of someone with "problem solving skills" look
>> like?
>>
>> How does "problem solving skills" differ from "thinking critically?"
>>
>> I'm not asking out of idle curiosity, this is actually part of what I
>> do.
>>

>> SteveT

Mine is:

We have to migrate IP addresses from one server to another with minimal down time. How would this be accomplished?  This 15 min process of moving 10 IPs took the tech 7 hours because he took down the server, didn’t change the MAC binding of IPs, and didn’t use a temporary IP on the old server. Some of it is education but most of it is the fact that he didn’t have a plan of attack.

Second. A server is under high load? Why? How can the issue be resolved?

Jason