O/T : Looking for an entry level LAMP developer for contract work.

Jerry Snitselaar dev at snitselaar.org
Tue Jul 28 20:25:37 MST 2015

On Thu Jul 23 15, Keith Smith wrote:

> Yours and der.hans' post compliment each other.  Add in what Nathan said
> about his organization having several openings makes me wonder if being
> independent has more value than we might think.  And if corporate America is
> willing to contract in place of hire.
>
> I think everyone should read http://www.amazon.com/Purple-Cow-New-Edition-Remarkable-Includes/dp/1591843170
> , find their niche and go for it.
>
> I wonder if part of the cause is high turn over.  I understand the average
> American stays at a job 2 to 3 years.  If this is the case in the tech
> world, I can see why no one is willing to train or coach someone.
>
> Sure makes sense to me to hire someone with C++ experience for a Java
> position -- if they are going to stay for 5 or 6 years.
>
> Recruiting, hiring, and training is a very painful process and cost lots in
> time and money.
>
> So to summarize.... There is a shortage, possibly created by a broken hiring
> system, and no one can get hired.... Ok,  I feel better now.

Is it that, or do people no longer stay at a company more than 3 years
because companies no longer feel the need to invest in them? It would
be interesting to see if there is a study that looks at that and
determines which trend started first.

Companies aren't willing to invest in people because they'll leave,
but expect/hope their workers will feel some sense of loyalty to them
and not leave when a better thing comes along. Why should people feel
loyalty to companies that will dump them without any hesitation if it
is in their interest? Interesting article about loyalty and companies:
https://gist.github.com/phaedryx/6268820

Moving to another company is most likely the best way by far to move
your career forward and improve your salary, so if something better
comes along that interests you why not take it? If you like your
current job and are having fun, then stay there and enjoy it. In the
last 3 years my salary has gone up about as much as it did the
12 before that when I was basically at one company.

I think a read a book a while back about the companies not being able
to find employees and saying there aren't qualified people, and it
comes down to them looking for magical unicorns. There are plenty
of people who could do the actual jobs if given the chance.

Companies should focus a little less on buzzwords, and a lot more
on someone's ability/desire to learn, ability to think critically,
and ablility to solve problems.

It doesn't help that many recruiters have no idea what they are
recruiting for. My faborite this month has been someone wanting to
interview me for a job writing device drivers for Windows, even though
my linkedin profile says right in the summary, "If it isn't a job
working with the Linux Kernel, I'm not interested."

Jerry