KDE enters the mobile development space

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 07:29:58 MST 2015

That i really the crux of it. Having the ability to have a similarly usable
experience between devices. I personally was really keen on the original
Ubuntu concept of a single device that could represent the DEsktop - Phone
as the same physical device. especially when i was considering what ASUS
had created with the transformer and padfone. Even though it would not
replace my main desktop it would have been a very interesting experience.
and been very useable.

Unfortunately it never quire came together.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 6:40 AM, Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx> wrote:

>  On Sun, 2015-07-26 at 15:41 -0700, Brian Cluff wrote:
>
> That makes a lot more sense than a single interface to spread across all
> devices.  That just seems to me that the very best you can come up with
> is something that will be described as on avarage as "not completely
> horrible" across all devices.  That doesn't sound very good to me (I'm
> talking to you Windows and Ubuntu). :)
>

> I'll bite :-)
>
> I do think that it is about making them feel similar, and have common ways
> of doing things. That of course means not having a task bar at the bottom
> and a popup menu in the left corner. Which seems to be the only way Linux
> users want to work :-) In general, there's gonna have to be changes from
> everyone as we end up with a continuum of devices, but I imagine that only
> professionals will have dedicated "computers" in the future.
>
> I randomly ran into a Ubuntu Phone user who noticed my hat and asked if I
> had seen the phone. When I asked some more questions of her she mentioned
> that the reason she liked the phone was because it worked the same way as
> her desktop, which meant she had to remember less and could be more
> productive. Only one data point, but a rather surprising one coming out of
> the blue.
>
> Ted

Stephen