Samba Connecting, cannot transfer files

James Dugger james.dugger at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 19:01:56 MST 2015

I set up my own share declaration at the end of the smb.conf file.  For
example I have a simple one called [archive] that allows backups to be
placed on a server running Ubuntu 15.04 server edition.

I create the samba users and passwords for each user (these match their
unix user accounts)
I set the appropriate unix permissions for the group that I want typically
775.
I create a group called "archive" in  /etc/group and then add all of the
users who are to have access to it into the archive group.
the valid users = @group_name is the key that allows samba to control the
access to samba share.

The key is add the the users to the group in /etc/group and to make sure
that they have a mapped samba username and password.

[archive]
     comment = backup drive
     path = /srv/archive
     browseable = yes
     guest ok = no
     valid users = @archive

There are other options but I usually find that the I forget to update the
/etc/group file.

Hope that helps

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the link.
>
> My smbpasswd is in /usr/bin/smbpasswd
>
> Just to make sure I : touch /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>
> then I :
> smbpasswd -x username
> smbpasswd -a username
>
> still same issue.
>
> Remove /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>
> I've created several directories off of /work/ on the samba server using
> the Samba server's command line.  Using Dolphin on my desktop I can add
> directories to /work/ - they have correct permissions and ownership.
> However I get a permissions dialog when adding files to /work/
>
> If I try to add a file to one of those directories I created using Dolphin
> on my desktop there is no error and no file shows up.
>

> Thank you for your help!!
> Keith
>

> On 2015-07-26 10:28, Stephen Partington wrote:
>

>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/samba-smbpasswd-file-missing-750367/
>> [3]
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Keith Smith
>> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Thanks!! I added the Samba user as one of the first steps. My
>>> smb.config shows "passdb backend = tdbsam". I cannot find the
>>> tdbsam file. What am I missing?
>>>
>>> On 2015-07-26 09:56, Todd Millecam wrote:
>>>
>>> If I remember right, samba doesn't follow regular *nix permissions.
>>> Try running the command:
>>> smbadduser
>>>
>>> to get your user name and password in. Use those credentials when
>>> you
>>> login to transfer files and see if it works.
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Keith Smith
>>> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running Mint 17 KDE. I've uploaded Virtualbox and created a
>>> vm using CentOS 6.6. On the CentOS 6.6 VM I installed Samba.
>>>
>>> I created a user on the VM and created the same user as a Samba
>>> user.
>>> I created a directory off root : /work
>>> smb and nmb are both running.
>>> in the /etc/samba/smb.conf I:
>>> 1) set the workgroup - I do not think this is necessary since I am
>>> connection from Linux.
>>> 2) commented out all the cups references
>>> 3) added the following lines:
>>>
>>> - path = /work
>>> - writable = yes
>>> - browseable = yes
>>> - read only = no
>>>
>>> SELinux is disables
>>> IPTables is disabled
>>>
>>> I have the exact same config on a laptop running CentOS 6.6 and it
>>> works fine. Only difference is the laptop mounts and connects to
>>> Samba from the fstab.
>>>
>>> To connect to the Samba share on the VM I issue the following
>>> command from my desktop's command line:
>>>
>>> sudo mount -t cifs -o user='username' //192.168.20.51/work/ [1] [1]
>>>

>>> /mnt/centos6 (command line on my desktop)
>>>
>>> It mounts and I can view the /work directory in Dolphin on the the
>>> parent (mint 17 KDE desktop).
>>>
>>> I cannot upload files though.

> [...]

James

*Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/james-h-dugger/15/64b/74a/>*