O/T : Looking for an entry level LAMP developer for contract work.

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jul 24 11:30:06 MST 2015

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 05:06:59 -0700
Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:

> > Another way is to be a freelance hired gun. That's what I used to
> > do. I'd walk in, get some requirements, agree on an hourly rate,
> > and deliver
> > something that worked plausibly in a day or two. Then I'd keep
> > improving it according to the client's needs. HR doesn't deal with
> > vendors, and if you're a freelance hired gun, you're a vendor who
> > gets to talk to the project's principals.
> >

> Going out on your own is a great idea.  I have recommend doing so to
> several friends.  However being a freelancer or consultant is not for
> most people.

I've noticed that.

Working for others, getting a steady paycheck and risking no capital is
wonderful. I know, that's how I worked before 1982. But sometimes you
have no choice. In some times and in some economies, the only job
you're going to get is one you make yourself. In the 1982 10.7%
unemployment recession, I couldn't get a job and started Steve's Stereo
Repair, which morphed into Steve Litt Business Systems and then
Troubleshooters.Com. I really had no choice.

In my case, when better times came, I liked self-employment enough to
stay that way. A lot of others go back to captive work, because of its
obvious benefits. Either way, that freelance business was strategic in
their career, if for nothing else than filling in an embarrassing bald
spot.

By the way, one of my books describes starting a business for employees.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21