O/T : Looking for an entry level LAMP developer for contract work.

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Wed Jul 22 13:50:48 MST 2015

On 2015-07-22 12:13, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 10:45:05 -0700
> Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>
> [clip]
>
>> I am looking for an entry level LAMP developer.  Would like someone
>> with entry level PHP skills and entry level Linux skills.  Stuff like
>> the ability to add a user, add a sudo user, and configure vhosts on
>> apache. I will give directions with examples and they will be working
>> on a development VPS so if they blow it we just spin up another.  As
>> for PHP skills if this person knows how to write a MySql connection
>> string and is able to insert, update, delete and list.... this person
>> could be what I am looking for.  This is a maintenance job.   This
>> person would need to know some HTML and CSS.  jQuery would be a plus.
>>
>> This contract could last as long as 2 or 3 years.  At that point we
>> would need to either up the compensation or understand when this
>> person takes off for other opportunities.
>>
>> Is the compensation fair?  Any ideas why I received such a lukewarm
>> response?
>>

>> Your feedback is much appreciated.
>>
>> Keith
>
> Hi Keith,
>
> I forwarded your job post to the GoLUG mailing list in Orlando, and got
> no feedback there either way, which isn't surprising. I've had only one
> piece of feedback on my re-posts on GoLUG: The guy thanked me as he
> went off to Texas to take the job :-)

Thanks!!

> Your figure of $250/month for health insurance is waaaaay low unless
> the person is in his early 20's. And most people in their early 20's
> aren't developed enough to do LAMP, and besides, LAMP's the old way,
> and people in their early 20's might not be interested in that.

I was thinking the person was probably very young.  Note age is not a
factor for me.

> I think 2 to 3 years is a little long to keep someone at $22/hr. If
> they're good enough to do the work, they're good enough to double their
> productivity within 12 to 18 months. Be ready for them to boogie in 12
> to 18 months without agreeing to their rate hikes.

I agree and am dealing with budgetary issues.

> You mentioned you got "lukewarm" reception. How many candidates did you
> get? What was wrong with them? Please tell me you're not screening them
> out because they're old or they lack college diplomas, or they lack a
> couple marginal skills. Not at $22/hr.

4.  Again is not part of the equation.  Looking for motivated person and
low drama.

> You want to get twenty applicants tomorrow? Do what I did when I was in
> your position: Go to all the nearby community colleges and post that ad
> on a bulletin board, or talk to the Comp-Sci instructors and tell them
> to mention it in their classes. Or even arrange to walk into a few
> classes and take five minutes to talk up your company and explain the
> opportunities. You'll get an army of highly motivated people, and
> because they were trained at community college instead of a prestigious
> 4 year, they'll know how to code real stuff, not compilers. To a
> community college student in today's economy, $22/hr sounds like a
> king's ransom.

Might be what I do.  Thanks for the suggestion.

> And please, I'd consider it a personal favor if, when you get the 20
> eager beaver candidates from nearby community colleges, you don't hold
> their age against them, whether they're 17 or 75.

I do not care what their age.  Must me 18 or over so they can sign the
non-compete and their own contract if they have one.

Thank you for all your feedback!!

> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21

Keith Smith