backup software?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Jul 17 12:15:01 MST 2015

moin moin,

I use a variety of tools for backups.

I'm re-evaluating my rsync snapshot tools.

I dislike rnsapshot's idea of time. When I want a daily snapshot, give me
a daily snapshot, don't silently fail because there haven't been enough
hourlies.

I liked backuppc, but it's been a while since I messed with it. It was
convenient that backuppc would only store one copy of a file per
collection, e.g. there would be one copy of /usr/bin/vim if every machine
had the same version. As I recall, it was also possible to isolate
backups, so there would be no information sharing between the particular
collections.

I looked at dirvish and some other tools recently, but didn't like them.

just found rsbackup. Can't recall if I looked at that in the past.

What features do you think are necessary for rsync snapshots?

What tools do you use for rsync snapshots?

Are there any missing features in those tools?

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  Intelligence without compassion is a waste.  -- der.hans