nexus 6 broken screen

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Jul 16 22:11:14 MST 2015

Am 16. Jul, 2015 schwätzte Nathan England so:

moin moin Nathan,

> From my experiences with encrypted hard drives in both the windows world and
> linux land, I have been hesitant to encrypt my phone. I use the Moto G on a
> prepaid verizon plan, so if the phone dies, I can pick up a new one for $60
> bucks at walmart, meaning I'm not concerned about sending it in...

My phones cost a bit more :). I also generally use them for several years
if the provider is sufficient.

> Regardless, I've pondered encrypting it, but dreaded the performance loss.
> What has your experience been on the 6? Is there a significant performance
> hit? Do you just feel it is worth the privacy protection and deal with it? Is
> it not even noticeable?

I haven't noticed. I'm also not that critical. I'm not a gamer except that
I've been getting into sgt's puzzle collection, especially galaxies :).

Phone calls work, camera works. Playing music works. Haven't stressed it
much beyond that. I do use lots of f-droid apps, but the only things that
were sluggish were a few of the games I tried.

> My windows machine with bitlocker is unbearably slow, at least compared to my
> SSD machines. And the encrypted HDD with Fedora is painful as well, though
> not near as bad as windows.

Debian with full disk encryption was fine.

Using $HOME encryption bit me as I use unison and both the encryption and
unison make longer file names. As a result lots of files couldn't be
synced because the file name was too long.

Could I get a functioning display and screen reader, I would be fine on
the phone as well, but I can't, so the encryption is causing me problems
in this particular case. Then again, I'm fairly certain my data is safe.
Nothing of value to anyone else, but still...

ciao,

der.hans

> On 2015-07-16 15:35, der.hans wrote:
>> Am 16. Jul, 2015 schwätzte Stephen Partington so:
>>
>> moin moin,
>>
>> it's encrypted :).
>>
>> At least OEM will have to work hard to get my data. Well, unless they have
>> a back door from the NSA...
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>>
>>> If you encrypted the device. Not likely. If you have no encryption you can
>>> unlock and flash a bootloader and the push a backup and gain  access via
>>> usb/add and pull your backup.
>>>
>>> That's the best i can think of.

#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and
#  write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." -- Alvin Toffler