Partition Question

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 21:03:11 MST 2015

20GB is good for root, var, and usr--provided you're not doing much heavy
development on it (if you need to install a number of databases and
development frameworks, I find 3-5GB per DB/framework is a decent
guideline).  I prefer seperate /boot partition that's 500MB myself.  The
only real reason to split out var is if you're hosting a database and want
to do partition-level backups and the only reason to split out usr is if
you want to take advantage of limited SSD space.

If you're dead-set on splitting it out that way, then I'd go with about 5GB
root, 10GB usr,  2GB + 4GBx(DBs and Dev frameworks) var.  Otherwise, give
20-30GB to root, 500MB to boot, 2-4 to swap, and the rest to home.

tmp is a bit trickier.  If you do a lot of sandboxing, or compiling
packages and stuff, the most I could see it needing would be a little bit
more than a DVD iso size for playing with distros--in any case 10GB for tmp
is the most I could even imagine it using.  More likely, if you're not
gonna be playing with VMs and building your own distro, 2GB is probably
enough.

Whatever is left goes to home.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Stephen M <smelheim85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I need to reinstall a new OS on my laptop because Mint 17.1 keeps having
> trouble downloading packages sometimes.  Mostly it says that 'a template
> for "rebecca" could not be found.'  So the release is just having growing
> pains.
>
> Onto my question though, I want to install something else but want to know
> about partitioning my drive.  I have not gotten into LVMs so I need to read
> up on those before trying.  I know that it depends but I would like some
> options.  I have a 250 GB drive, I am wanting to make a separate /, home,
> var, tmp, and usr directories. I am looking for a possible percentage of
> whats best works for a home computer more or less.
>
> If someone doesn't mind giving me an insight that would be helpful.
> Usually I have done 5-10GB for / and 2GB for swap and the rest for home.  I
> want to see what others have tried in the past that has worked for them.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> --
> Stephen Melheim
> 602-400-7707