Server Performance Comparison

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 10:12:39 MST 2015

I have, actually done this comparison many times.

Long story short--generally CentOS wins, but it depends on package
versions, library version, and most importantly the kernel version they're
using.

Ubuntu LTS vs a seasoned CentOS release (that'd be 6 or older), CentOS will
usually win out on performance simply because it has fewer services running
by default in the background.  If you disable the unneeded services on
Ubuntu, then it can perform as well as CentOS.

A perfectly well-tuned of both yields about the same performance metrics if
they're running the same kernel version.  Newer kernels don't necessarily
mean better performing.  2.6 has the smallest footprint and even running
3.12 on my box doesn't keep up with it quite as well-but we're talking
about 1-2 ms difference.

However, both of them are going to be dwarfed by the more advanced distros.

For both a VM and a physical server, I'd give preference to CentOS because
it has a smaller footprint on a VM and it has better support for
virtualization than Ubuntu.  FreeBSD is probably the best choice for a VPS
in terms of cost to run and maintain, but CentOS isn't all that far behind
it.

If given free-reign over which distro goes where and I'm optimizing for
performance, I put Arch on a server, then CentOS, then Debian and never
mess with Ubuntu because it's generally bloatware.  If it's a VM, then
usually I want a specific distro for a specific purpose.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Nathan England <nathan at nmecs.com> wrote:

> Sorry to fan the flames but I am curious... We have had some talk lately
> about web servers and ubuntu/centos and various applications needing some
> version or another.
>
> I'm curious, has anyone ever seen a performance comparison between
> similarly configured ubuntu and centos systems?
>
> Should there be a performance difference? I'm sincerely curious here, I am
> interested about vps performance differences as well as physical server
> differences.
>
> Nathan

Todd Millecam