How to create a panel icon for a hidden wine app?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Thu Jan 15 17:41:18 MST 2015

What is the procedure to create a panel icon for a wine app that does not
show up in the Application launcher?  And how can I launch the app
without having to see all the garbage that shows up when I start the app
from the command line?

Today, I installed Paint Shop Pro (an excellent windoze photo editor that
runs perfectly under wine) by just installing the CD and clicking on
'setup.exe'.  It installed perfectly and showed up immediately under the
launcher wine tab. Then a right-click on the app and I could add it to
panel.

But when I tried to do the same thing with Pagemaker, it installed here:
/home/joe/.wine/drive_c/PM6/ and I can start it with this:
$ wine PM6.EXE and it runs okay (not great, but somewhat) but all of this
appears in the terminal window (and more messages appear while I am
trying to use it).

How can I launch it from the panel instead and avoid all these garbage
messages?

fixme:font:freetype_SelectFont Untranslated charset 32
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET
face->fs.fsCsb[0] = 00000000 file =
L"/home/joe/.wine/dosdevices/c:/PM6/aldfonte.fon"
fixme:font:freetype_SelectFont Untranslated charset 32
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET
face->fs.fsCsb[0] = 00000000 file =
L"/home/joe/.wine/dosdevices/c:/PM6/aldfonte.fon"
fixme:font:freetype_SelectFont Untranslated charset 32
fixme:font:freetype_SelectFont Untranslated charset 255
fixme:font:freetype_SelectFont Untranslated charset 32
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET
face->fs.fsCsb[0] = 00000000 file =
L"/home/joe/.wine/dosdevices/c:/PM6/aldfonte.fon"
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:font:freetype_SelectFont Untranslated charset 32
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET
face->fs.fsCsb[0] = 00000000 file =
L"/home/joe/.wine/dosdevices/c:/PM6/aldfonte.fon"
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid
{00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}