Not Debian/Ubuntu Desktop

trent shipley trent.shipley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 21:49:49 MST 2015

I tried CentOS as a guest Windows 8.1 using VMWare Player, but had some
problems with it. Mostly I couldn't figure out what packages were
available. CentOS seemed to have fewer rpms than other distributions.

The guy who gave me advice on the GNUCobol newbie discussion favored
Fedora. I installed Fedora 21 using VMWare Fusion as a guest on OS X. I had
some trouble installing GNUCobol, again with missing packages. So I wrote
the GNUCobol newbie list again. One reply later, the COBOL compiler
installed.

I'll try a "Hello World" program tomorrow evening.