How to make display fill screen?

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Jan 12 14:10:28 MST 2015

On 2015-01-12 13:31, Richard Wilson wrote:
> I have a similar issue with a 2nd monitor on my system that refuses
> to come up in its (native) 1280x1024 mode.
> I used to include it in a system start up script
> (/etc/gdm/Init/Default), but Fedora 20 has moved stuff around and I
> haven't found the right place to include it...

Has Fedora removed the time-honored /etc/rc.local script/symlink?  That
is supposed to be the thing that gets run after all the other scripts
execute.  (At least that's how it was in SysV, don't know what sort of
bizarre weirdness the systemd people are doing.)

[snip script]
> Disclaimer -- these are dangerous commands!  Don't use them unless
> you KNOW that your monitor can support the resolution to which you're
> setting it!  I understand bad things (blown hardware) can happen if
> you ignore this.

I thought that killing your monitor by setting invalid modelines was a
problem only for CRTs, and then only for some old CRTs that didn't have
hardwired sync limits.  I Could Be Wrong.  My own fiddling with custom
modelines on LCDs caused nothing worse than the LCD not displaying
anything until I put a modeline that worked in.  YMMV.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity