Windows 7 dual boot with Linux

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Jan 12 08:25:27 MST 2015

On 2015-01-12 03:54, kitepilot at kitepilot.com wrote:
> Clone your Window$ with:
> mount -tntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
> (cd /mnt/sda1;tar cf - .)|(cd /mnt/sdb1;tar xf -)

I thought that NTFS had a number of things like non-Unixy file
permissions and alternate file streams that tar is not aware of and
can't replicate.  I also thought that Windows still has a few things
that require absolute sector positions, like the swapfile.  If it's
possible to back up a Windows-on-NTFS drive with mount and tar, that's
great--but I thought it was unlikely.

I have usually used partimage to back up and restore Windows
partitions.  That works.  The downside is that it only does a partition
at a time....

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity