could someone help me install vlc 1.1.10

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 00:34:23 MST 2015

Well, someone told me that they run vlc 1.1.10 and that everything runs
perfectly where they had later versions that did not run as well. As such I
am trying to compile vlc for my computer.
Here is what I did:

  424  wget '
http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/1.1.9/vlc-1.1.9.tar.bz2'
--edit--
  427  tar -xjf vlc-1.1.10.tar.bz2
  428  ls
  429  cd vlc-1.1.10/
--edit--
  433  ./configure
configure: error: Couldn't find DBus >= 1.0.0, install libdbus-dev ?
  435  sudo apt-get install libdbus-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libdbus-dev
(after searching for how to install the program found that installing
libhal-dev installs libdbus-dev)
  436  sudo apt-get install libhal-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libhal-dev
  437  sudo dpkg -i libdbus-dev
dpkg: error processing archive libdbus-dev (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
libdbus-dev
--edit--
  439  sudo dpkg --install  libhal-dev
dpkg: error processing archive libhal-dev (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
libhal-dev
  440  history