GnuCOBOL

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 08:44:56 MST 2015

I got it working on Manjaro, if you're interested in the setup, it's pretty
straight forward.
1)  Install Manjaro
2)  From a terminal, install a package called yaourt
   sudo pacman -Sy yaourt
yaourt is a special package manager, it downloads source code, compiles it,
and then creates a package for it and installs it.
3)  Compile and install gnu-cobol
  yaourt -Sy gnu-cobol

Done.
A word of caution about yaourt.  It takes straight from code posted to the
Arch User Repository.  Anyone can post anything here, it's not reviewed by
any maintainers, and it's not signed or verified.  For this reason, yaourt
will ask you to look at the package build prior to installing to make sure
you're not inadvertently installing a rootkit.
On my box, I happened to have all the common linux build utilities--like
gcc, make, and so forth.  You will probably need those in order to get
gnu-cobol to compile as it is (surprise surprise) written in c.
yaourt/pacman will tell you what you're missing if they can't complete the
requested operation.

As for getting it working on Windows--it uses the common gnu dev toolchain,
so if you install Mingw on your windows box, and probably cmake as well,
then you can probably build your own cobc on windows from the gnu-cobol
code base.  The only hangup you might run into is that I see, by default it
uses ncurses library for screen io.  If it has a fallback to stdio, then
you'll be fine, otherwise you'll have to get ncurses first.  That might be
a little bit more ugliness than you want to wade through, though.

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:49 PM, koder <iscreamkid at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Have you gotten GnuCobol to run on your system yet?
>
> Harold
>

> On 01/05/2015 05:33 PM, trent shipley wrote:
>
> I wrote to the newbie list for GnuCOBOL for some help getting started. I'm
> writing to the local list to see if anyone has experience with COBOL, and
> GnuCOBOL in particular.
>
>  I got hired November 17, 2014 to a new job where I will be outsourced to
> a financial company. Right now I and 19 other recruits are in a COBOL on
> IBM MVS boot camp. We can't get on the training system from home. I took
> six semester hours of COBOL on VMS in 1998 and 1999, so I help out some of
> the trainees. You can see how GnuCOBOL would be useful.
>
>  Community support for GnuCOBOL native on Windows, on a native Linux
> partition, or on Linux hosted on Windows (well, personally I use OS X)
> would be much appreciated, even if it was just support for installation,
> and early compilation and COBOL debugging.

Todd Millecam