vlc

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Mon Jan 5 18:54:26 MST 2015

Mike,
  There are a few probable sources of the behavior you're experiencing:
1) You may have a video chip that doesn't have good support in Linux, or at least not good enough with respect to video display to handle AVCHD video.
2) Your computer main CPU may not be up to the task of decoding the video in realtime.
3) Your disk may not be able to read fast enough to keep the video buffer full.

All three possibilities would cause frame drops and skips.
The Audio playing clean suggests it's not a disk speed issue, rather the AVCHD decoder isn't able to keep up on your system. (or, as others have suggested, libavcodec might be buggy and need to be updated).

The next thing you might check is that you're running the best available video driver for your hardware, as video playback is very heavily dependent on good support of the GPU hardware.

You might also try running the system monitor while you play a video, and see what ends up taking the most CPU and/or RAM (and which of those resources is most heavily loaded).
If VLC is maxing out your CPU, then it's probably the system unable to keep up or a buggy version of libavcodec.  If X is maxing out the CPU, then it's probably inadequate support for the GPU (X is falling back to swrender too much), and looking for better drivers might help.

Whatever the cause, you might be able to play the video on your current setup if you first transcode it to something easier for your system to handle, perhaps MPEG2 or MPEG4 at 720p.  AVCHD is a pretty dense codec, so it can be difficult for older systems to play at full framerate.