OT Cable Modem Woes

parabellum7 at yahoo.com parabellum7 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 13:35:08 MST 2015

Hi Mark,

You might be on to something with the heat issue. I installed one of those in a closet and it ran hot. I mean, really hot, almost too hot to touch. Leaving the door to the closet open helped a bit until it got warmer outside. Eventually the ethernet port died, we went round & round with Cox and they replaced it with a Cisco modem. Which also runs warmer than I think such a device should, but it's been stable for almost a year now. When I researched, these problems are not unusual for the newer surfboards.

So you could try cooling it with a fan or maybe vent the entire enclosure.

--Kenn

Re: OT Cable Modem Woes

I'm back....

My internet went out again tonight. I think my Motorola Surfboard SB6141
may have been damaged by the input signal being too high. The current
signal level are the same as when the Cox guy left, so I assume they are
still in the green as far as Cox is concerned.

The modem is exhibiting what appears to be heat related failures. When the
modem stops working, I can ping servers on the local network, but not
Google. When I power off, wait 30, and power on, I can ping Google.
However, I get time values around 477 ms. If I leave the door to the modem
cabinet open and wait a few hours, the ping times slowly drop to around the
normal 19 to 21 ms. I pretty much get the same server responding all the
time...lax02s21-in-f14-1e100.net.

Do you think I should get a new cable modem like a sb6183?

Mark