Fwd: public/private keys.... what are they?

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 20:18:02 MST 2015

Stolen but relevant.

The Public and Private key pair comprise of two uniquely related
cryptographic keys (basically long random numbers). Below is an example of
a Public Key:

3048 0241 00C9 18FA CF8D EB2D EFD5 FD37 89B9 E069 EA97 FC20 5E35 F577 EE31
C4FB C6E4 4811 7D86 BC8F BAFA 362F 922B F01B 2F40 C744 2654 C0DD 2881 D673
CA2B 4003 C266 E2CD CB02 0301 0001

The Public Key is what its name suggests - Public. It is made available to
everyone via a publicly accessible repository or directory. On the other
hand, the Private Key must remain confidential to its respective owner.

Because the key pair is mathematically related, whatever is encrypted with
a Public Key may only be decrypted by its corresponding Private Key and
vice versa.

For example, if Bob wants to send sensitive data to Alice, and wants to be
sure that only Alice may be able to read it, he will encrypt the data with
Alice's Public Key. Only Alice has access to her corresponding Private Key
and as a result is the only person with the capability of decrypting the
encrypted data back into its original form.

As only Alice has access to her Private Key, it is possible that only Alice
can decrypt the encrypted data. Even if someone else gains access to the
encrypted data, it will remain confidential as they should not have access
to Alice's Private Key.

From
https://www.comodo.com/resources/small-business/digital-certificates2.php