lshw -short

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 03:08:30 MST 2015

Also, if you want to manipulate the way the kernel uses a device, you can
usually find it under a directory like:

/proc/bus/
or
/sys/bus/

Using this, you can (often) deactivate a device and if the motherboard
supports it, pull it out and replace it without rebooting the machine.
Very handy for replacing PCI raid cards and faulty RAM without incurring
any downtime.

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 2:47 AM, James Mcphee <jmcphe at gmail.com> wrote:

> which bus and slot it sits in.  like if you wanted to know which card or
> whatnot to yank.
>
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 1:48 AM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I found the answer!
>>
>> there is a phrase in the lshw manpage that says -short is "very  much
>>  like the output of HP-UX's ioscan.'
>>
>> A websearch for 'HP-UX's ioscan' brings up it's man page which states:
>>

>> *hw path* A numerical string of hardware components, notated
>> sequentially from the bus address to the device
>> address. Typically, the initial number is
>> appended by slash (*/*), to represent a bus
>> converter (if required by your machine), and
>> subsequent numbers are separated by periods (*.*).
>> Each number represents the location of a hardware
>> component on the path to the device.
>>
>> Could someone explain to me what 'the location of a hardware component'
>> means?
>>
>> :-)~MIKE~(-:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 1:36 AM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering, I can run lshw with the -short option and it gives me a
>>> list:
>>>
>>> H/W path  Device  Class          Description
>>> ============================================
>>>                   system         Computer
>>> /0                bus            Motherboard
>>> /0/1              memory         3888MiB System memory
>>> /0/6              processor      AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
>>> /0/0              memory         RAM memory
>>> etc...
>>>
>>> does anyone know what a 'H/W path' is?

> James McPhee
> jmcphe at gmail.com