Sound stopped working....

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 20:34:25 MST 2015

So do you think I should reinstall the alsa drivers? When I tried to
reconfigure it I was told it was not installed.

   bmike1 at c521 ~ $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure alsa
   dpkg-query: package 'alsa' is not installed and no information is
available
   Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
   and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
   /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: alsa is not installed

If ALSA *is* the the drivers for the actual soundcard then ALSA needs to be
present.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 10:24 PM, Brian Cluff <brian at snaptek.com> wrote:

> On 12/22/2015 06:57 PM, Todd Millecam wrote:
>

> In the case of sound, the general chain goes as follows:
>
> kernel->pci or usb bus->udev rules -> alsa or pulse -> ubuntu config and
> application
>

> You have this slightly wrong.  ALSA is the the drivers for the actual
> soundcard.  Pulseaudio is an advanced sound server that sits on top of ALSA
> to provide extra functionality, like mixing multiple channels of audio
> together, and per application volume control, that ALSA doesn't have.
> Pulse then exports out it's own ALSA connection so that programs that don't
> know how to talk to pulse can still make sound.
>
> ALSA only programs would do:
> *Sound source -> libALSA -> PulseAudio -> *ALSA driver -> hardware
>
> While pulse programs would do:
> *Sound source -> PulseAudio -> **ALSA driver** -> Hardware*
>
> Pre-pulse was rather grim times for audio with many programs grabbing the
> audio card exclusively so that nothing else would be able to make sounds.
>
> Brian Cluff