what gives a clear scan with Linux?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Tue Dec 22 14:35:16 MST 2015

The user needs to be part of the scanner group in order for the scanner
to be found.

I would guess that while you were adding and removing scanner software,
one of the the packages removed the scanner group completely and when
you shutdown the machine it forgot that you were in the group.

Try adding the scanner group to your user and then log out and back in
again and it should start working

Brian Cluff