e2label

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 11:45:20 MST 2015

This is what I'm doing: I'm trying to change the label on a usbdrive so....

bmike1 at c521 ~ $ e2label /dev/sde1 RedSanDisk
e2label: Permission denied while trying to open /dev/sde1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

so I graphically unmounted the drive and tried again:

bmike1 at c521 ~ $ sudo e2label /dev/sde1 RedSanDisk
e2label: No medium found while trying to open /dev/sde1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

so I mounted it again and made a new mount point

bmike1 at c521 ~ $ sudo mount /dev/sde1 /media/test
bmike1 at c521 ~ $ sudo e2label /dev/sde RedSanDisk
e2label: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sde
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

How should I do it?

--