Understanding IP class range.

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Mon Aug 31 23:00:38 MST 2015

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but your logic is misleading.  CIDR did
not create any more addresses than before CIDR became popular.  If anything
it decreased the potential addresses by eliminating the exotic non-linear
net masks.  As I said in my previous post... It comes down to the binary.
The binary does not change.  All addresses are binary, all masks are
binary, all switching is binary... All built on the work of George Bool,
and he rarely gets any credit.  CIDR or subnet mask are just two ways of
describing the exact same thing.  It's semantics.  Nothing is created or
lost in using either form.  What you call a /28 used to be referred to as
255.255.255.240, and /30 was 255.255.255.252, and your example of /31 makes
no sense at all... This is an unusable network as there are no room for
hosts ?!?!?

Kevin