no wedding band??

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at icloud.com
Sat Aug 29 08:26:23 MST 2015

in some ways, this is already happening. Take for example my DVD collection. Given the terms of the DMCA, I am not allowed to play them with vlc (an open source media player) because it breaks (cracks) the CSS on those dvd's in order to play the content. THis also means I can't make backups of said media and keep the originals in their packages as archived originals.

THere is also the matter of e-books. Take for example the Kindle. THe OS on it is open source (or at least the kernel is). However, the books themselves are closed source format and the kindle will not read allowed the text for me. Add to that another issue with the American Authors guild. THey insist that I have to register with them before I can have the right to access an e-book. Again, its the DMCA at work (along with the content cartels). I have a right to be able to read what I want in the method that best works for me (speech, braille, accessible electronic text, etc.) and I am not being allowed to.

So, if you think this hasn't started happening in Linux, think again. It's already here and it starts out as next to nothing. Its time for those of us who have the knowledge to quit talking about the problem and actually do something about it.

-eric (the other eric)