OT: How to send an email anonymously ...

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Thu Apr 30 16:00:40 MST 2015

On 2015-04-30 15:19, joe at actionline.com wrote:
> Every day, I receive email messages sent to me from fake sender email
> addresses, even spam garbage supposedly sent to me from my own email
> address.  How do they do that?
>
> While I have never done this before, I now have a need to do send an
> email completely anonymously (preferably using our homeowner
> association
> email address ;) and would like to know how this can be done safely and
> not illegally.
>
> To briefly explain, we have a neighbor who has poured the foundation to
> build a structure in his back yard (without obtaining a building
> permit)
> and if he should proceed, this non-compliant structure will cause him
> even greater expense and hardship if he is not prevented from
> proceeding.
> The size of the foundation makes it very obvious that the structure is
> not in compliance with either city building codes or HOA requirements.
>
> Needless to say, we want to avoid causing hard feelings with our
> neighbor, so we would like to be able to alert the city authorities
> *anonymously* in order to protect our neighbor from continuing and
> ending
> up with very costly consequences.
>
> Regrettably, our home owner's association has taken the position that
> they will indeed take the necessary corrective actions, including
> notifying the city building code department, once the building is built
> and visible from the street; however, they say that they will not take
> any action until the building is built and a "visible" violation has
> actually been committed.  How stupid is that?

Is it against your HOA's CC&R's to pour a slab in the back yard of your
house?  Probably not.  If not the HOA would not have a leg to stand on.
Once a structure is visable even if it is just the frame it probably
will then fall under your HOA's jurisdiction.

I would assume city code requires a permit to lay down concrete for any
use.  At this point it is probably a city issue.

> So, my question is, how can I send an email to the city building code
> enforcement department to alert them of the homeowner's failure to
> obtain
> a building permit so that the email will appear to be from our
> homeowner
> association?
>
> I have already spoken to them by phone, but they will not take any
> action
> until they receive a formal "complaint" via their online input form
> which
> requires submitting the name and contact information of whoever is
> filing
> the complaint.  They say that such reports are best and usually filed
> by
> HOAs and not by neighbors, to avoid needless conflicts.
>
> Obviously, I could just wait until my neighbor has spent all the money
> build the structure and then have a prolonged legal action to force him
> to tear it down, but how much better to protect him from all that
> needless pain and expense?

I would never spoof an email.  Who knows where that can lead.  They will
be able to track it back to you anyway, unless you really get fancy.

Keith Smith