Network bridge over bond?

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 14:42:17 MST 2015

I am working on a ProxmoxVE cluster i have set up.

I am needing a bit better network performance as i am also running CEPH for
the stoage layer

This is what i have for network configuration is the following. it seems to
be working. the nodes i have configured appear to be running with better
throughput.

root at computername:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
        address  10.40.216.235
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        slaves eth0 eth1
        bond_miimon 100
        bond_mode 802.3ad
        bond_xmit_hash_policy layer2

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  10.40.216.235
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  10.40.216.1
        bridge_ports bond0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

root at computername:~#

The backend network these servers are connected to are a Cisco Catalyst
4705R loaded with WS-X4524-GB-RJ45V modules.

All my research says to use a network bond running LCAP for best
compatability/performance with this hardware. it all seems to be running,
but it is kind of weird that Proxmox would want me to create the bridge for
the VMs to run on kind of makes sense just feels weird to run a bond
inside  bridge.

If anyone who has worked with proxmox has a better suggestion please let me
know.

Thanks for your time.

Stephen