Difference between Cat 5e & Cat 6

Richard Daggett richard-daggett at daggettdesign.com
Wed Apr 15 14:58:51 MST 2015

*What is the general difference between category 5e and category 6?*

The general difference between category 5e
<http://www.broadbandutopia.com/cat5en.html> and category 6
<http://www.broadbandutopia.com/category6.html> is in the transmission
performance, and extension of the available bandwidth from 100 MHz for
category 5e to 200 MHz for category 6. This includes better insertion loss,
near end crosstalk (NEXT), return loss, and equal level far end crosstalk
(ELFEXT). These improvements provide a higher signal-to-noise ratio,
allowing higher reliability for current applications and higher data rates
for future applications.

http://www.broadbandutopia.com/caandcaco.html

If cost is an concern CAT 5e will do the job.

Richard