apt-get upgrade vs synaptic

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Thu Apr 2 13:59:25 MST 2015

I almost always run an upgrade twice just to make sure there wasn't an
error that I missed.  Since I've been doing that I've never have a
broken system when I reboot.
The vast majority of broken systems I've seen come from systems that for
one reason or another only partially upgraded and then the machine was
rebooted leaving it in a rather nasty state.  I've also noticed that a
lot of the graphical package managers make that situation worse by
telling you the system needs to be rebooted when the upgrade didn't
finish successfully.

Brian Cluff